Become a PSP Mentor and Change a Student’s Life!
Partnership Scholars Program is seeking volunteer mentors to help economically disadvantaged, academically motivated middle and high school students to succeed in school and explore the world around them.
We are now recruiting for the 2016-17 School year!
“Mentoring…has been a life changing experience. It has been amazing to see a young, sheltered 7th grade girl grow into an outgoing, motivated, and mature young lady. She will be a life long friend who I will “follow” as she tackles college, a career, and the rest of her life. Her family is also important to my family and will continue to be people we hold dear in our hearts.” — PSP Mentor
PSP mentors are matched with 2 – 3 students (Scholars) with whom they build a caring relationship and try new things together on a monthly basis. PSP draws students from the El Monte, Lennox/Inglewood and Hawthorne communities in southern California; and Fort Bragg, Mendocino and Ukiah in northern California. Interested candidates should be convenient to those areas, with an interest in mentoring at least once a month.
- Hold a Bacherlor’s Degree or advanced degree
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
- Valid car insurance and driver’s license
- Warmth, openness, patience and a willingness to listen
- Interest in exposing scholars to new cultural experiences such as plays, sporting events and other similar activities
- Commitment to help scholars focus on achieving admission to a four-year college
- Ability to set limits and respond to supervision
- Ability to drive scholars to and from the site of activities
- Serve as a friend, advocate, coach, and listener to scholar
- Meet with scholar a minimum of one time per month and/or at least five hours per month
- Participate in training and supervisory meetings with agency staff
- Participate in special group events and activities
- Adhere to PSP program guidelines and requests for information
- Giving and sharing your lifetime of experience with a young person
- Attending cultural, sports, and other events
- Building meaningful relationships with your scholars and their families
- Opportunity to change the course of a student’s life!
- Mentors are reimbursed for all expenses incurred for activities with mentees.
We ask for a minimum two year commitment from our mentors. We do understand, however, that this isn’t always possible. Please contact PSP if you have questions about the length of time that you can commit to volunteering.
If you are ready to become a PSP mentor please download the application and submit it via email to email@example.com or by USPS to PO Box 156, El Segundo, CA 90245.
For more information, please email us or call 424-225-4777.